CBIRP in the News
Fathers Struggle with Body Image Talks with Their Daughters
Body image is an issue that many people feel that they struggle with, and sometimes from a young age. Psychologists...
More Pleasure in Hookups with Good Body Image
On the flip side, negatively perceived body image is correlated to sexual malfunction for people engaging in hookups....
Here’s How Your Body Image Can Impact Your Sexual Health
Experts explain how your body image impacts your sexual health. It can be challenging to get out of your head during a...
Study by MU Professor Shows Racism in Skin Tones, Not Just Skin Colors
One study, conducted by an MU professor, suggests racism is extended to skin tone. Antionette Landor, assistant...
MU Experts Say We Must Also Acknowledge Skin Tone
As the country continues to grapple with racism, one University of Missouri professor suggests that bias related to...
4 Ways to Support People Dealing with Colorism
Antoinette Landor offers the following advice to help people heal from skin-tone trauma: Acknowledge that colorism...
CBIRP Associate Directory Antoniette Landor discusses Colorism's Significance in the Identify a biannual publication...
Why You Need to Talk About Sex With Your Partner
CBIRP's Directors Antoniette Landor and Virginia Ramseyer Winter contribute to the conversation in this article that...
Improving Body Image
Virginia Ramseyer Winter Director of CBIRP is interviewed on Top of Mind with Julie Rose. The interview starts...
Breakfast for Teens: Can Breakfast Boost Your Teen’s Body Image
A good breakfast routine like this may actually be even more beneficial. A recent study from the University of...
Studies Suggest Positive Interaction with 3D Avatars can Improve Body Image
The interview starts at 40:40. Virginia Ramseyer Winter, director, the University of Missouri CBIRP is interviewed....
Can Painting 3D Scans Improve Body Image
The research shows that images from 3D scanners can help young women focus on body appreciation, which might in turn...
Eating Breakfast with Parents is Associated with Positive Body Image for Teenagers
There’s new research that suggests teenagers who eat breakfast with their parents have a better chance of developing a...
MU Study Finds Eating Breakfast with Parents is Associated with Positive Body Image in Teenagers
Parents hoping to raise teenagers with positive body image might just find helpful tools in the kitchen every morning....
Could Family Breakfast Give kids Good Body Image?
Eating breakfast as a family can help promote a positive body image for children and adolescents, a new study...
Why Doesn’t Sex Ed Cover Body Image?
We don't often think of body image as being directly related to our sex lives, much less our sexual health, but a...
Center for Body Image Research and Policy Aimes to Promote Positive Message
Center for Body Image Research and Policy was created in October of 2018. Dr. Ginny Ramseyer Winter the Director of...
MU Establishes Body Image Research Center
Improved body image for improved well-being is the purpose of the new University of Missouri Center for Body Image...
Council of Social Work Education Annual Program Meeting Presentation by CBIRP Students
CBIRP students Michaella Ward (left) and Mackenzie Cook (right) present on body image and sexual behaviors at the...
Dr. Landor’s Research Featured in Stephens Life Magazine
Dr. Landor’s Research Featured in Stephens Life Magazine Dr. Landor and her research on colorism was featured in the...
We have developed short YouTube videos for adolescents. The first video teaches about media literacy, the second about building body positivity, and the third video focuses on tips for raising children with positive body images. The videos can be used in educational settings with groups or watched by an individual. They can be used together or they can stand on their own. We hope you enjoy the content and that the videos spur critical thinking about the media and give a few tools to improve your own body image.
It Really Presents a Struggle for Females, Especially my Little Girl: Exploring Fathers’ Experiences Discussing Body Image with Their Young Daughters
Abstract: Body dissatisfaction in children, particularly young girls, is a growing concern around the world. The home...
On a Journey to Appreciate What My Body Does for Me: Qualitative Results from a Positive Body Image Pilot Intervention Study
Abstract: Research suggests body appreciation is related to mental, physical, and sexual health behaviors and outcomes...
Eating Breakfast and Family Meals in Adolescence: The Role of Body Image
Abstract: Regularly eating breakfast and meals with the family has important health implications for youth. However,...
Body Appreciation, Anxiety, and Depression Among a Racially Diverse Sample of Women
Abstract: This study aims to explore correlates between body appreciation and mental health among a racially and...
Exploring Body Image, Contraceptive Use, and Sexual Health Outcomes Among an Ethnically Diverse Sample of Women
Abstract: This cross-sectional study examined the links between body appreciation, contraceptive use, and...
CBIRP List of Resources
Fat Activist & Positive Body Image Social Media Accounts
- Center for Body Image Research & Policy (@CBIRP)
- Judi Craddock
- Dr. Lindo Bacon (@LindoBaconX)
- Wear Your Voice magazine
- Josée Sovinsky, RD
- Food Psych Podcast (@FoodPsychPod)
- Christy Harrison, MPH, RD
- Virgie Tovar
- Nadia Craddock
- Fiona Willer
- Dr. Melissa A. Fabello
- Body Justice and Fat Feminism Dublin
- Ella Foote (@ellachloeswims)
- Trust Your Body Project
- Mermaid Queen (@MerQueenJude)
- Melissa Fabello
- The Fat Sex Therapist
- Bitch Media
- Comfy Fat (@comfyfat)
- Michelle Allison (@fatnutritionist)
- Fat Grrrl Activism (@fatgrrrls)
- Sofie Hagen
- The Body is Not an Apology
- Amy Purdy (@amypurdygurl)
- Harnaam Kaur (@harnaamkaur)
- Bruce Sturgell (@chubstr)
- Ryan Sheldon (@bingeeaterconfessions)
- Jessamyn Stanley (@mynameisjessamyn)
- Em Ford (@mypaleskinblog)
- Ash Soto (@radiantbambi)
- Chris Mosier (@thechrismosier)
- @ effyourbeautystandards
- Shane Stinson (@channelingshane)
- Aaron Flores, RDN (@aaronfloresrdn)
- More-Love (@moreloveorg)
- FatWomenOfColor (@fatwomenofcolor)
- Dianne Bondy (@diannebondyyoga)
Instagram Hashtags to Follow
- Food Psych Podcast
- UWE Centre for Appearance Research Podcast (@car_UWE)
- The Full Bloom Project
- Bad Fat Broads
- Recovery Warriors
- Fat Girls Club (adult subjects)
- Why Won’t You Date Me? (adult subjects, humor, and language)
- She’s All Fat
- Body Kindness
- Fearless Rebel
- You Have the Right to Remain Fat by Virgie Tovar
- Shrill by Lindy West
- Health at Every Size by Dr. Bacon
- Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse
- Intuitive Eating Workbook: 10 Principles for Nourishing a Healthy Relationship
with Food by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch
- The Body is Not an Apology: The Power of Radical Self-Love by Sonya Renee
- Fearing the Black Body: The Racial Origins of Fat Phobia by Sabrina Strings
- Hunger by Roxane Gay
- Heavy: An American Memoir by Kiese Laymon
- Body Image Book for Girls by Dr. Charlotte Markey
- The Self-Love Revolution: Radical Body Positivity for Girls of Color by Virgie
- Anti-Diet by Christy Harrison
- Belly of the Beast: The Politics of Anti-Fatness as Anti-Blackness by Da’Shaun L. Harrison